Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fruit of the Spirit: Day 2

I have not set out a plan for the month since I just jumped in off the cuff yesterday.  So, we'll have to see how things go (I think I might try to lay out a general plan tonight).

Anyway,  I thought today I'd start by digging into the background, what's going on around the verse and a few of the basic things.  Then tomorrow I can start taking each word one by one.  So here we go...

Galatians was written by Paul with the intent to combat the legalistic teaching that was creeping into the Galatian church at the time.  The church was being taught that they (a church of mostly Gentiles) needed to be circumcised and to follow the law of Moses to be in proper standing with God.  In essence they were being taught that faith in Christ's death on the cross was not enough.  With this in mind, when we look at the fruit of the Spirit we must remember that it is not a list of things we must do to be godly, but instead trust in the Spirit to work these out through us.  This does not mean that we should not cultivate these characteristics, but ultimately that it is the Spirit of God within us who makes it possible to attain them.

The fruit of the Spirit is given by God when one is saved and brought into the family of God.  It is similar to the gifts that the Spirit gives in that they are given at the time of salvation and we spend the rest of our lives cultivating them and watching God grow them in us, but different in that every believer gets all of the fruit of the Spirit.  In fact, as it has been often pointed out, the "fruit of the Spirit" is singular, signifying that they come as a package deal.  Therefore, if you are saved, you have the capability to be all of these things: loving, peaceful, kind, etc.  It's just up to us to surrender to the Spirit's work within us and allow Him to bring them out.

This is quite a challenge for me as I get ready for tomorrow.  I hope to begin to be a better example of the fruit of the Spirit to my children and others around me.

Tomorrow: Love!

*I used the Expositor's Bible Commentary and my Baptist Study Bible for these notes.  I'll try to note each day what I'm using in my study.  I try not to just regurgitate what I've read, but even still, they deserve credit for their information.

No comments: